British Sign Language for Absolute Beginners (T2E)
British Sign Language (BSL) is the legally recognised language for the deaf and hearing-impaired community in Britain. Our non-accredited 10-week course will give you a foundational understanding of basic terminology and structures in BSL.
On successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Engage in everyday communicative situations e.g. greetings, telling the time and date, counting and fingerspelling, describing the weather, people and activities;
- Construct and follow short narratives in BSL about generic topics e.g. the home, the family, and leisure activities;
- Recognise and apply the basic linguistic features of BSL and the implications of being Deaf in a hearing world;
- Reflect on your progress and pursue further study.
This course is suitable for complete beginners or those with limited knowledge of BSL.
The course will provide a foundational understanding on the following topics:
- Introducing yourself & polite conversation
- Alphabet & Fingerspelling
- Hobbies & Interests
- Family & Home
- Time & days of the week
- Daily routine
Progression Next Steps
British Sign Language for Improvers. Accredited Level 1 BSL.
This course will run for 2 hours over 10 weeks and will be taught be a qualified teacher. You must be prepared to attend all classes and be willing to complete the home learning tasks. The sessions will have mixture of signing practice and verbal communication
The sessions will be delivered in person and will use a variety of collaborative activities and different teaching methods.
In line with active learning methodologies, class activities will include: pair work, group-work (dialogue practice, information gap exercises, discussion), individual tasks, discovery and formulation of grammatical rules. At the end of every session, you will be given some short home learning tasks to complete. The purpose of these activities will be to revise and consolidate your knowledge while developing your awareness of how to use language learning tools independently. Our approach on this course not only ensures you engage with a wide range of tasks and activities but also seeks to support different learning styles.
Your tutor will give you verbal feedback. Continuous informal assessment will be undertaken by the tutor during all class activities.